The first week of assembly has gone very smoothly, due in part to the car’s uniquely original and undamaged condition. Every original part has been checked carefully and either cleaned prior to installation, or restored where appropriate to return it to its original condition. Nothing has been replaced for the sake of it, as this would remove the patina and originality of the car. For example, the headlights and tail lights are the genuine factory-fitment first series Carello units which have been cleaned carefully, polished and re-installed. The exterior stainless trims have been cleaned with ultra fine ‘000’ wire wool, rather than mirror polishing as we do with our GTA-R builds.The foam padding in the inner door panels and 1/4 cards had completely disintegrated. In order to restore them, we carefully removed the original vinyl to allow the hardboard backing to be cleaned and re-covered with new foam before the original vinyl materialwas re-fitted.
The later additions to the rollcage have been cut off and the cage repainted to return it to its original 1966 specification. We have re-instated the battery in the boot using the car’s original Autodelta boot mounted battery tray – just as it ran in period. The original suspension bolts had some surface corrosion which needed to be addressed. Since they would never have been zinc plated back in 1965, we sent them away for a special stripping process, followed by media blasting to partially polish them, prior to having a special black finish applied to return them to their original factory appearance. The magnesium bellhousing looked to be in good condition, but since it was now a 50 year old casting, we put it through our special liquid media blasting system to return it to raw magnesium and inspect. We found a small crack, so this will be welded and linished back prior to having the original chromate finish re-applied.